Théâtre des Champs-Elysées
The Théâtre des Champs-Elysées is without a doubt one of the greatest concert houses in Paris. Built in 1913, it is one of the rare buildings to have been elaborated solely by artists: the architects Henry Van de Velde then Auguste Perret, the painter and sculptor Antoine Bourdelle, the painter Maurice Denis, and the crystal worker René Lalique to name only but a few.
The restoration of the Grande Salle devoted to lyrical performances, symphonic concerts and to dance was decided in 1985. Two years later on the 23th of September 1987, the theatre reopened its doors completely renovated. Fifteen years later a new renovation campaign was laid out. The objectives were to replace aging equipment, protect certain rooms of the theatre from wearing out and to ameliorate the comfort of both the spectators and the artists. These past years the main focus was placed on the marble façade, on the replacement of the floor rug by a wooden floor and on the replacement of the concert hall’s decoration by a new completely wooden structure, which would be more pleasing both aesthetically and acoustically.
The Théâtre des Champs-Elysées receives each year over 300,000 spectators and thousands of collaborating artists. The Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, milestone of French 20th century architecture, was in 1953 one of the first modern buildings to enter the ranks of the official “Monuments Historiques”.
Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, our videos
Spontini: La Vestale – Eric Lacascade, Jérémie Rhorer – Théâtre des Champs-Élysées
Oct. 23, 2013, 5:30 p.m.