The historical headquarters of the Parisian press’ unions, the Akustika hall was inaugurated by Colonne in 1937. Known for its remarkable acoustics, the company Philips decided to make it their recording studio. Since the 1950’s, numerous French and international artists have recorded their albums here. After its rise to fame, the hall is progressively abandoned.
During spring 2010, the Orchestre Colonne conducted by Laurent Petitgirard, purchases the hall. After six months of construction work down to the foundations, the hall becomes the orchestra’s and the choral’s home. Many conductors and orchestras rent the hall in order to rehearse before major events for example recently Emmanuel Krivine, Marc Minowski and François-Xavier Roth. Many artists also come to record their works such as William Christie and Hervé Niquet.
Even though its 900 square feet (90 squater meters) allows for symphonic concerts, the Salle Colonne is also devoted to musical recitals and chamber music.